Only Sheep

 The Scriptures are always comparing us to sheep.
Psalm 100:3 – “Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.”
  Some might look at this as a cute little animal and say, “Awe, God is calling us cute.” The reality of the situation is that God is trying to point out how helpless we are without Him.
  Sheep are not smart, they have no sense of direction, they can’t fight, they can’t run, and they would very simply die left to themselves.
  Sheep must be led to where green pastures are because they cannot find them on their own. Sheep have to be defended from wild predators because they have no way of defending themselves. Sheep are unable to run well and therefore cannot run from danger. Sheep are just plain helpless and need a shepherd.
  That is exactly what we are spiritually without Jesus Christ our Great Shepherd. We cannot make it on our own.
John 15:5 – “I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.”
  So does the Bible say all this to make us feel worthless? No! Simply put God wanted to warn us that there are several spiritual dangers in this life if we try to make it on our own without the flock and without the shepherd. There are predators out there who want to destroy us spiritual and physically.
I Peter 5:8 – “Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:”
  So what should we do as sheep of the Great Shepherd in this life? We should very simply yield our lives to the control and leading of the Shepherd, and then resist the temptations of the Devil.
James 4:7 – “Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.”
  Always keep your eyes on the Lord and follow Him.
Hebrews 12:2 – “Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.”
  He will always lead us through the trials of life to green pastures prepared for His sheep.

Psalm 23 – “The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.”

Comments

Popular Posts