How to Climb out of Despair


  As Christians we can get to a place in life where we feel things have not worked out as they should have. We feel despair either because of disappointments, regrets or actions taken against us. Sometimes these events in life are due to our own making, but then there are “uncontrollable” events that take us by surprise. In these events we can become bitter wondering why God would allow such things to happen to us.

  In times like these we often get in a funk and start to despair in life. For a Christian there is an emergency ladder we can use to pull us out of this pit we have cast ourselves into. If we ask ourselves four questions, and answer them HONESTLY, it will cause us to come up out of the pit one step at a time. The key is to answer these questions honestly, however.

1.      Ask Yourself Does God Still Love Me?

  When you get bad news from the doctor do you know that God still loves you? God’s love does not waver for His children. I can do nothing that will cause God to love me anymore or any less.

Romans 8:35-39 – “Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

2.      Ask Yourself Is God Just As Powerful Now As When He Parted the Red Sea?

  Has God grown old and feeble that He cannot do things as He used to do?

Isaiah 59:1 – “Behold, the LORD'S hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear:”

3.      Ask Yourself Does God Know Things That I Don’t Know?

  Does the vision of God surpass me and therefore He knows a better path than I do? He will not reveal the answer to everything to me and why certain things happen, but I know that He knows the best way no matter what. He will make me accept some things by faith, and therefore does not explain every detail of everything to me.

Isaiah 55:8-9 – “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.”

4.      Ask Yourself Has God Ever Done Anything To Keep Me From Trusting Him?

  If I am honest I will see God has never led me astray nor denied me things that I needed. He may have denied me things I wanted, but that was simply because those things possibly would have destroyed me.

II Samuel 22:31 – “As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all them that trust in him.”

  If you will give an honest answer to all of these questions you will have to admit that God knows what He is doing, that He has your best interest in mind, and therefore you don’t have to worry about a thing. We simply have to learn to place our trust in our amazing God no matter what our circumstances may be.

Comments

  1. Your post is very helpful to fight out of despair and find happiness again. If you are looking for Christian Church Lanham, then you can visit thevesselofgracechurch.org.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts